Here’s an instruction on how you can root your Xiaomi Mi5 or Mi Mix device without flashing TWRP Custom Recovery. To continue with this tutorial you must have unlocked bootloader, working ADB tools and an ability to boot your device in fastboot mode.
Root Xiaomi Mi 5 and Mi Mix without flashing TWRP Custom Recovery
The idea of this method is to temporarily mount the TWRP in fastboot mode without flashing it. By using the official TWRP for gemini, the whole process is really simple. You can mount the data partition and work with it with decryption of data partition. So, let’s begin.
- Download SuperSU v2.76 and copy downloaded .zip archive to your phone memory. We will need this file for the later installation.
- Download latest official TWRP. Rename downloaded file to “recovery.img” and move it to the folder with working adb files.
- Check if “USB debugging” is enabled. (Tap a few times on “MIUI version” > Go to “Developer Options” and enable “USB Debugging” there).
- Now boot your Mi 5 or Mi Mix device into fastboot mode (turn it off, hold the “Volume Down” + “Power” buttons until the fastboot logo appears and then release both buttons).
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- On your PC open the folder with ADB files. Hold “Shift” button on your keyboard and right click on the empty space, click on “Open Command Window here”.
- Now we will load into the TWRP Custom Recovery by typing this command:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Your device will reboot into TWRP mode, but in will not be installed, just mounted for a single use.
- Mount (if required) data partition (ignore password request), go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install”, select previously download SuperSU .zip file and install it.
- Reboot in system after installation is completed.
- That’s it! In the result you’ll have a stock recovery and OTA updates available. But after receiving a new update via OTA, you’ll need to repeat the same steps again to root your Mi5 and Mi Max device.