In this guide, you can learn the steps needed to unlock the bootloader on your Redmi Note 5.
Note: Before performing any of the following steps I recommend backing up all your phone’s data on the external memory. Also, keep in mind that you are trying this method at your own risk.
Now, when we moved that out of the way, let’s begin.
Unlock Your MIUI Account
- The first thing you need to do is going to this link: http://en.miui.com/unlock There you can get your unlock permissions from the MIUI Account you are using. It is better to use a Mobile Number based account than an E-Mail ID-Based account.
- Once you received a form, fill in your details. Here you will need to mention why do you want to unlock your phone bootloader. Try to be as original as possible. Otherwise, they might deny your application.
- After you submit the application (few hours to few days), they will inform you via SMS telling you that your account is ready for unlocking.
Download the MiFlash Tool
- Go to the same link from before: http://en.miui.com/unlock This time they will provide you a download link for the MiFlash tool.
- Download the zip file and unzip it.
- Now, install the MI Drivers. Make sure you right-click the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Enable Developer Options
- On your Redmi Note 5 Pro, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap the MIUI Version 7-8 times. Once you enable the Developer Options, a toast message will notify you.
- Now, access Developer Options by going to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options. Sign in with your MIUI Account. Make sure you use the same one from the first step. Also, insert the SIM card of the same number that you’ve made the MIUI ID with.
- Next, you need to use VPN to switch to China Servers. PlexVPN is the app that you can use to do that. If you are using a later version of the app (than the attached one), select China Line 2 in the server and press connect.
Check OEM Unlock ON
- Once the device is connected, Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options. Turn on the OEM Unlock Option.
- Now, go to Device Unlock Status. Here you need to select the option Add Account and Device. That will bind the device with your account. Now, turn your phone off. But before, make sure you back up all of your data somewhere.
Unlock the Bootloader
- On your computer, right click on the MiFlash tool and run it as administrator.
- Fill up your MIUI account details, and the tool will check if you have a permission to unlock the bootloader. If everything is OK, it will give you instructions to connect your device in fastboot mode. To do so, press the volume down key + Power button until a fastboot screen shows up.
- Now, the MiFlash tool will ask you for permissions. Grant them, and you are almost there. Within 5 minutes it should unlock your Redmi Note 5 Pro bootloader. In some rare cases, it may show a message saying try after 72 or 360 hours. In that case, you will have to wait and try again later.
This is how you unlock the bootloader on your Note 5 Pro. Make sure you let me know if this worked for you in the comments section.