Hi! In this post we will cover the steps on how you can enable root access on your Xiaomi Mi 9. This method works only with unlocked bootloader device. So make sure you’ve unlocked the bootloader before continuing with the guide. Xiaomi Mi9 was one of the most popular devices in 2019 and it still can compete with other flagship smartphones.
Enabling Root on Xiaomi Mi9 (cepheus)
- First of all, download the TWRP Recovery 3.3.1 v12 (with arm64 support) from XDA.
- Next download the latest version from Magisk, also from XDA.
- Reboot your phone into Fastboot mode by turning off your device and pressing “Volume Down” and power buttons at the same time.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Download ADB Driver.
- Unpack download adb.zip archive to any folder and move previously downloaded Magisk and TWRP archives inside this folder as well.
- Start adb.exe by using Shift + Enter key combination.
- Terminal window should be opened.
- Type the following command (where “recovery.img” is the name of downloaded TWRP file): fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After flashing is done, type next command in terminal window: fastboot reboot, and press the volume up button on your phone (device will reboot and enter TWRP Custom Recovery).
- Open “Wipe” in the menu, press “Format Data” (all data will be removed, that’s required for internal memory encryption). Type “yes” to confirm the format and wait until it finishes.
- Reboot and enter recovery once again.
- In the terminal Window on your PC enter the following command to copy downloaded Magisk archive to your device: adb push Magisk.zip /sdcard/
- Now in the TWRP main menu tap on “Install”, locate the Magisk.zip archive and continue with installation.
- Reboot into the system and install Magisk Manager to enable root.
- If everything was done correctly your device is now have root enabled.
Please, keep in mind, that you take all the responsibility for manipulations with your device. Share your experience and tips in the comments below this post, your help is always much appreciated!