In this post you’ll find a complete tutorial on how you can easily flash your Mi 5X phone, install TWRP Custom Recovery and also enable root using the XiaoMiTool. This same tutorial will also work perfectly fine with Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro device as well as Mi5X. Actually, this is the most convenient, up-to-date and easiest methods on how to flash and root your Xiaomi phone.
Just in case, please pay attention that only you take responsibility for your actions.
Guide on how to flash Custom ROM, install custom recovery and root Xiaomi Mi5X
Before you’ll start using XiaoMiTool here’s a few things you must know:
- First of all to flash any ROM version and use all features of XiaoMiTool you’ll need to officially unlock bootloader on your phone using the MiFlashUnlock tool. Otherwise, you can flash only Official ROM with locked bootloader.
- To use XiaoMiTool you must have a phone with a fully working ROM, you can’t use XiaoMiTool with softbricked / hardbrick devices.
- After flashing any ROM version all data will be deleted, remember to make backups!
- It’s required to have internet access to use XiaoMiTool.
Now when you’re aware of the things above, let’s continue to our tutorial.
Preparing to flash Xiaomi Mi 5X with XiaoMiTool
- You should have unlocked bootloader or locked bootloader (install only official ROM).
- Disable driver digital signature enforcement. Check out this post for full tutorial.
- Download and install MiFlash – MiFlashSetup_eng.msi
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
- Make sure battery is charged at 50% at least.
- Download and install XiaoMiTool – XMT_0.4.0.exe.zip
- Latest version: XMT_0.4.1.exe.zip
- Open XiaoMiTool and press “Ok” to continue.
How to flash latest official MIUI ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5X using XiaoMiTool
- Connect your phone to PC via USB-cable. Make sure it is recognized in XiaoMiTool.
- Press “Yes” in the next window.
- XiaoMiTool will automatically detect information about your device, all available ROMs and shows the suitable method for flashing as well as which bootloader lock state is required. Your phone may reboot during this process, it’s normal.
- On the next step XiaoMiTool will check for available ROMs for your Xiaomi phone.
- You’ll see a full list of available ROMs. Select the ROM version you want to flash and press “Select” button.
- The ROM downloading should start. Otherwise you can download required ROM manually and move it to the “XiaoMiTool\rom\” folder.
- If you’ve select Xiaomi.EU multilingual ROM, the TWRP-3.1.1-0-kenzo installation will start.
- Your phone will automatically boot into TWRP Custom Recovery.
- The ROM will be also installed automatically, you can see the whole process on your PC.
- Wait for phone to reboot and first startup.
- Next you can donate the author of this tool or continue.
- Disconnect your phone from PC and have fun with a freshly installed ROM.
How to flash Custom ROM and Root Xiaomi Mi 5X
To follow the steps below, you require to have unlocked bootloader on your device!
- After you’ve finished steps 1-12 from the above, select “Show advanced options” in XiaoMiTool.
- Now select what you want to do next:
- 6 – Select fastboot ROM .tgz
- 7 – Select recovery ROM .zip
- 8 – Select Custom Recovery .img file
- 10 – Lock bootloader
- 11 – Select other official recovery ROM .zip
- 12 – Install SuperSU to enable root on your phone.
That’s pretty much all information you need to use XiaoMiTool for your Mi 5X and Redmi Note 3 Pro devices.
Good day! Let me continue with another post today. Here I’m going to give you download links for the most recommended TWRP Custom Recovery version for Mi5X device. Scroll down to find installation tutorial and download links for different packages. If it’s the first time you’re flashing TWRP, I highly recommend you to browse and get more information on this topic.
Download TWRP Custom Recovery 188.8.131.52 for Xiaomi Mi 5X (Tiffany, Oxygen, Tissot)
Developed by: brigudav
Download TWRP 184.108.40.206 for PC install (miniADB and TWRP .bat file for installation are included in the archive): twrp-3.2.1-tiffany_ProtAboot.zip
Download TWRP 220.127.116.11 for update via currently installed TWRP: twrp-3.2.1-0_tiffany_ProtAboot.img
How to flash TWRP 18.104.22.168?
- Download TWRP .zip archive and unpack to “C:\TWRP”.
- Start your Mi5X device in fastboot mode and connect to PC via USB cable.
- Open “ADB” folder, press and hold “Shift” key and right click on empty space.
- Click on “Open terminal window here”.
- In the command line enter the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- You should see “finished” message.
Otherwise you can use the .bat installation file which can be found in the “ADB” folder. Don’t forget to open the .bat file as administrator. By carefully following the steps above you can easily flash TWRP on your Xiaomi Mi 5X device.
How to root Mi5X with TWRP?
- To root your phone download SuperSU for TWRP.
- Boot into TWRP Custom Recovery and go to “Install” menu.
- After SuperSU is installed wipe “Cache” and “Dalvik Cache”.
- Reboot into system and activate root.
- To remove root you’ll need to download and install removal archive.