Below we share the most detailed and working guide on how you can install TWRP and root your Xiaomi Redmi 7A device and encrypt data partition. This is required if you want to flash GSI ROM.
Please take a note that you follow the instructions below at your own risk. Authors are not responsible for bricked devices.
Make sure you’ve make a backup of all the important data (including personal data) on your phone, because during this guide we’ll completely format the phone data partition.
Flashing Custom Recovery and encrypting data partition on Redmi 7A
Download TWRP Custom Recovery for Redmi 7A
- First of all, you must have unlocked bootloader on your phone. Follow this tutorial, if you don’t know how to do this.
- Download adb.zip archive.
- Unpack adb.zip archive to C:\ drive.
- Download TWRP Custom Recovery for Redmi 7A.
- Rename downloaded recovery to Recovery.img (make sure file type is visible in your system settings).
- Move Recovery.img to unpacked adb folder.
- Download boot image file for your ROM version. If you don’t see the patched boot for the firmware version you’re using, then you’ll need to patch it by yourself.
- Rename downloaded boot image file to boot.img and move it to the adb folder together with Recovery.img
- Download Magisk 19.3 and optionally you can use no-verify-encrypt-ysl.zip
- Turn off your device.
- Reboot into fastboot mode.
- Connect your device via USB to PC. It’s highly recommended to use stock USB cable.
- Download and install adbdriver.zip
- Press and hold “Volume UP” button on your phone.
- Open the C:\adb folder with recovery.img and boot.img files and start install.bat
- Your phone will reboot into TWRP.
- You’ll see “Unmodified System Partition”, proceed with “Swipe to Allow Modifications”.
- Format data partition.
- Wipe > Format Data > Yes
- Optionally you can encrypt data partition on your device. If you’ll proceed with data encryption, you won’t be able to use locking options including face lock on your phone.
- In TWRP, go to “Install” > SD Card and locate previously downloaded no-verity-encrypt-ysl.zip, continue flashing this patch.
- To enable ROOT: In recovery “Install” > SD Card and locate downloaded Magisk archive, flash to root.