The Redmi 8 is considered one of the best mid-range smartphones this year. It was released in October 2019, and it thus remains a top-pick for 2020 too.
It features a 6.22-inch display with a 720 x 1520 pixels resolution of about 270 ppi in pixel density.
Originally, the phone runs on Android 9 (Pie) with a MIUI 11 skin.
A Snapdragon 439 chipset backed by an Octa-core, Cortex A53 CPU with an Adreno 505 GPU completes the phone’s processing arsenal.
Photo lovers will love the Redmi 8’s 12-megapixel main camera and 8-megapixel selfie shooter.
Combine these with a 3/4 GB RAM and 32/64 GB internal memory combo that comes with microSDXC expandable storage and you will notice that the Redmi 8 is a device worth coveting for.
OrangeFox Recovery Features
Yet, using a phone Redmi 8’s chops does not feel complete without a decent custom recovery. Of course, we have the official, vanilla TWRP recovery for the Redmi 8.
But, other offerings like the OrangeFox Recovery Project present us with so much more features.
See, OrangeFox has extras such as:
- Out-of-the-box support for both Treble and non-Treble firmware
- Use of the latest TWRP builds
- Built-in Magisk
- Built in SuperSu
- OTA MIUI support
- Lock screen alternatives
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 8
Now, before you flash OrangeFox Recovery you will need to install TWRP first, as follows:
- Download TWRP:
- Connect your Redmi 8 to a PC using USB
- Open a PowerShell console on the same path as the TWRP file you have downloaded in Step 1
- Type the command:
adb reboot bootloader
- After Step 4 the device will go into fastboot mode. And once that is done, type the command:
fastboot flash recovery [twrp-filename]
twrp-filenamewith the name of the TWRP file you have downloaded, say:
- Restart the phone after the TWRP file flashes by typing the following command while pressing the Volume Up button
As expected, these steps will not work if you have not unlocked the phone’s bootloader.
With the TWRP installed the phone is ready for flashing the OrangeFox Recovery, as follows:
Install OrangeFox Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 8
- Download OrangeFox Recovery:
- Extract the zip file to find the file named
- Reboot the phone into fastboot mode
- Go to the folder where you have installed
adb, open a PowerShell console and type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Then type:
reboot to recovery
With that done, you get a fresh OrangeFox Recovery installation on the Redmi 8.
As with other flash operations, remember to make backups before you start. And the process should be carried out on a phone with at least 80% of battery charge. Other conditions include enabling USB Debugging mode and having an unlocked bootloader.