The new Xiaomi Mi A2 is the second Android One device after Xiaomi Mi A1. The Mi A2 features a Snapdragon 660 processor and 4GB or 6GB of RAM. Yet, the phone’s key selling point is its dual-camera configuration. It sports a 12MP+20MP camera setup at the rear and a 20MP at the front.
Despite promising a stock-like Android Oreo experience, the Mi A2 favors a custom camera app over Google Camera. And for good reason too. The Mi A2 camera contains a few software tricks. It shoots in portrait mode, for example, using an intelligent system for choosing sensors. Its shots are some of the best for midrange devices.
The Mi A2 camera app is thus an excellent addition to any Xiaomi device. So, it was a welcome development to hear that ports of the app have made their way to the Xiaomi Mi A1 and Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro.
How to use Xiaomi Mi A2 camera app on other models
You’ll need to do a few things first before you can install the Mi A2 camera. See below.
- Root permissions
Related: How to root Xiaomi Mi A1
- Install TWRP custom recovery
If you’ve done the above, you may now proceed with the installation.
- Download these two files first:
- Boot into TWRP and flash the Mi A2 Camera for Mi A1 zip file.
- Restart the device
- Boot into TWRP again and flash the Camera A2 Experimental zip file
- Restart the device to test out the Mi A2 camera on your Mi A1
- Some users have reported ending up with an app named 60 in place of the Mi A2 camera. This app crashes on opening. If you face such a problem try out this mod by XDA senior member joeyhuab:
- Xiaomi Mi A2 Camera: Xiaomi-Mi-A2-Stock-Camera-v8.zip
- Download and flash it to replace the Mi A2 Camera by Dipesh17
- Also, if you’re using an Android Pie ROM, use this mod by joeyhaub instead:
- Xiaomi Mi A2 Camera for Pie GSI: Pie_MiA2Cam_Magisk_Tissot_v3_INSTALL_IN_TWRP.zip
How to install Xiaomi Mi A2 camera on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Before you consider this mod, you should note that:
The Mi A2 camera port for Redmi Note 5 Pro doesn’t work on MIUI-based ROMs.
- TWRP custom recovery for Redmi Note 5 Pro
- TWRP 3.2.3: twrp-3.2.3-0-whyred.img
- Remove/uninstall Google Camera (if you have it on your Redmi Note 5 Pro, that is). It may cause some conflicts with the Mi A2 camera
- Enable Camera2API
- Flash this file using TWRP to enable Camera2API: Camera_2API.zip
- Download the Mi A2 camera for Redmi Note 5 Pro by carlosggb: MiA2Cam-v10.zip
- Flash the camera mod using TWRP
- Restart device
- The Mi A2 camera may crash when you activate slow motion
- HD (1080p) video lacks image stabilization
- Auto HDR mode doesn’t work
- You may see some lag when switching between the front and back camera
These aside, the Mi A2 camera produces beautiful shots.