Ever since Google introduced the Pixel line, Android users have tried to port its Google camera (GCam) app. And for good reason too. The GCam is an excellent performer. In a previous post, for example, we saw how well it could work with the Xiaomi Mi A1. We also learned that it could work for other Xiaomi devices too. Notable ones included the Redmi Note 5 Pro, Mi 5, and Redmi 4X.
Yet, users have struggled with a myriad of issues like GCams that don’t open and some that crash often.
As luck would have it, dedicated modders continue to give us ever better GCam ports. But, the issue with these fast developments is that it’s hard to keep track of what works best. That’s why today, I’ve collected all the ports renowned for their performance in Xiaomi devices in one post. I’ll even throw in ARCore mods that work for the Xiaomi Mi A1 and Mi 5S.
Download latest GCam Ports for Xiaomi devices
Gcam for Xiaomi Mi A1
As you’ll see, there’s a lot going on for the Mi A1. From running the basic GCam mods to handling augmented reality, this phone shows that it can punch above its weight. See the best ports below.
- Most GCam ports work without little to no issues on the Mi A1. But, the Arnova8G2 version 1.4 port is the undeniable favorite. Get it: GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.4.apk
- A GCam with wide, telephoto capabilities is also available. It’s the Cstark27 version 3.3 port. Get it cstark27_GCam_5.1.018_24_wide_v3.3.apk. Still, you’ll need a few mods to help Cstark’s port to use the zoom camera and to solve WhatsApp’s crashing.
- Give your GCam some ARCore functions using the mods below. (Flash both files.)
- Add some AR Stickers functionality to your GCam by installing the .apk files found here.
Google Camera Mod for Xiaomi Mi 5/5S
- The Arnova8G2 version 4 GCam port works best for the Xiaomi Mi 5. Get it here.
- Get the excellent Arnova8G2 version 1.5 port for your Xiaomi Mi 5S here.
- Flash this mod: arcore_apps-signed.zip. Then, install these mods (for Android 8.0: calibration_cad_Mi5s-signed.zip or 8.1: arcore_mod_mi5s-signed.zip) to get ARCore and AR Stickers working on your Mi 5S.
Find recommended GCam .apk file for you Xiaomi variant below.
- Xiaomi Mi 6 and Mi 8: MGC_5.2.022 1.0.apk
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S: GCam-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V7beta-test-9.apk
- Xiaomi Mi Mix, Redmi 4 Prime, and Redmi Note 3: GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.5Beta2.apk (This is the port that works for the Xiaomi Mi 5S too—see above.)
- Xiaomi Mi Note 3: GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.7Beta2.apk
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S: GCam-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V2.apk
- Xiaomi Redmi 4X and Redmi Note 4: GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.4.apk (Works for the Xiaomi Mi A1 too—see above.)
- Xiaomi Redmi 5A: GCam-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V8.apk
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5/5+: GCam_5.3.015-Pixel3Mod-Arnova8G2-v4Beta2.apk
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro: GoogleCamera_5.2.025-Minimal-Beta-Final.apk
For this post, I’ve assumed that you’re already familiar with flashing using TWRP or the Magisk Manager. I also take it that you’ve tried out porting GCam to your Xiaomi before.
What other ports work as good as these I’ve listed above? Have you encountered any problems with these recommended mods? We would love to know. Share your experiences or suggestions by commenting below.