In continuing the topic about on how to root Xiaomi Mi 5 (find previous related post here), here’s another method you may want to try. Pay attention that this method will work only if you have unlocked bootloader.
Remove encryption and Root Xiaomi Mi5 Device
- First of all, make sure you’ve installed all the required and working adb and fastboot tools on your PC.
- Download PRO-SuperSU-v2.67.zip and copy to the same folder with adb and fastboot tools.
- Download latest version of TWRP Custom Recovery, rename it to recovery.img if required, and move this file to the same folder with adb files. (Skip this step if you’ve already TWRP Custom Recovery installed on your device).
- Boot your device in fastboot mode (turn off, press and hold “Volume Down” + “Power” buttons until you’ll see a fastboot logo, and then release both buttons).
- Boot into TWRP by typing in Command Prompt:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- In TWRP Custom Recovery ignore “data encrypted” message and mount system partition for read and write.
- Copy .zip file with SuperSU to the phone by typing:
adb push PRO-SuperSU-v2.67.zip /cache
- Install the .zip archive with TWRP (find it in /cache directory).
- Reboot into system.
- That’s it!
You’ll be able to receive OTA updates and after each update you’ll need to repeat the same steps again to root your Mi5 device.